Saturday, April 7, 2012

Norma Marti: Puerto Rico and politics - Letters - NewsObserver.com

Norma Marti: Puerto Rico and politics - Letters - NewsObserver.com

Printed from the News & Observer - www.NewsObserver.com
Published Sat, Apr 07, 2012 12:00 AM
Modified Fri, Apr 06, 2012 07:07 PM

Norma Marti: Puerto Rico and politics

Published in: Letters

Related Images

Puerto Rico and politics
As an immigrant who came to this country at age 5 with my parents who were seeking more economic opportunity than their homeland offered in the 1950s (while many U.S.-born citizens were moving to Puerto Rico for tax “shelters”), I look forward to continued positive debate on the subject of immigration reform at a national level. States should not be creating bandage solutions (dare I imply scare tactics to wind political attention?) to something that is truly beyond their jurisdiction.
I didn’t have much of a say (nor did my parents for that matter) on the U.S. congressional votes in 1900, 1917, 1922 and as late as 1997 in a Puerto Rican Supreme Court hearing, which defines me as a Puerto Rican national with U.S. citizenship. Confused? Politics is never simple.
Let’s get real and become a state where we are leading the nation in good legislation not following bad laws created in other states! Remember, you did give me the right to vote, and you can be sure I will exercise that right at every opportunity.
Norma Marti
Raleigh

No comments:

Post a Comment