Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The secretary of the Department of Justice, Luis Sánchez Betances, resigned today after the scandal... - Fuera Sánchez Betances de Justicia - El Nuevo Dia.com

December 11, 2013
1:43 pmUpdated: 1:50 pmPolitics

Outside Sánchez Betances Justice

The secretary resigned after scandal presented to police intervention that ended in the arrest of his friend and former partner. Videos
By ELNUEVODIA.COM

The lawyer was nominated December 5, 2012 by the Governor. (Archive)
The secretary of the Department of Justice, Luis Sánchez Betances, resignedtoday after the scandal arise during the arrest of his friend and former partner, lawyer Jaime Sifre, arrested last Friday for driving drunk.
"In the morning I have informed the Governor that I have decided to resign as Attorney General.This determination does not mean you've made some kind of conduct contrary to law. I have total belief that I did nothing illegal or unethical missed or the duties of my office. So I assure the country, "said Sánchez Betances in a press release. 
Sánchez Betances, who traveled to Costa Rica on Monday to participate in a forum on corruption and justice, arrived about 11:30 pm yesterday on the flight 450 of Copa Airlines, from Panama, after García Padilla will be asked to return to the island immediately to discuss their actions.
"As governor I give you the best thanks for allowing me to serve Puerto Rico and to return in part to the country, all he has done for me. To my family, my children and my wife, thank you for your unconditional support and constant love towards me, "said Sánchez Betances.
"To the friends who have expressed their solidarity and all my staff and my colleagues in the Department of Justice thank you very much for joining me on this stretch of road. My exhortation is to continue the good work and who think the country It is above all. Finally, you the people, thank you, thank you very much for this year, I felt the support and solidarity of you to my performance. Hoy and can always count on me, "he added.
Upon his arrival last night, visibly nervous, the officer merely read a terse expressions.

A accountable Sánchez Betances


The attorney returned to Puerto Rico at the Governor.

After learning actions Sánchez Betances, several political figures, such as Resident Commissioner Pedro Pierluisi   and the Mayor of San Juan,CarmenYulín Cruz , pideron the resignation of Secretary.
Yesterday, the director of the Office of Government Ethics  (OGE), Zulma R. Rosario Vega, confirmed that the bank began "the process of investigation" into the allegations against Sanchez Betances.
Meanwhile, this morning the representative José Aponte and executive director of the New Progressive Party, Jorge Davila, filed a complaint  with the Public Integrity Section of the Department of Justice.
Sánchez Betances was confirmed  as attorney general by the Senate on February 14, on a party-line vote to have the endorsement of the delegation of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) and the opposition party New Progressive Party (PNP) and the Puerto Rican Independence (PIP). 

No comments:

Post a Comment